Wednesday, April 3, 2013

C is for Cardio


Welcome to day 3 of the Blogging A-Z April Challenge, 2013!  Each day in April (except Sundays) I will be posting here, and the posts will be in alphabetical order!  This blog is all about my journey to weight loss / good health & fitness. 

For some shameless self-promotion, I have 2 other blogs in the challenge, too.  Check them out!
Maple Grove Cemetery - Halloween related, but don't worry - no gore.  
Random Ramblings - lives up to its name.  Totally random.

********************
Cardio - basically means pertaining to the heart.  So a cardio workout is one that really gives your heart a workout.

There are at least a gazillion ways to get in cardiovascular exercise.  Walking, running, aerobics, biking and skating are all obvious forms of cardio.  But did you know that it also includes dancing, swimming, and even shoveling snow?  I can vouch for that one a couple times this past winter!

If you are able to talk, sing, breathe regularly and are not sweating, your intensity is low. If you can talk and sing but your breathing is deep and you are sweating after about 10 minutes, your intensity is moderate.  If you can just briefly talk, can't sing, your breathing is rapid and deep, and you are sweating after 3-5 minutes, your intensity is high.

I personally like Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home DVDs. The Fast 4 miles DVD is killer!  The 3 mile walk takes 40 minutes.  The 4 mile walk takes 45 minutes- so the pace is really amped up and includes high-intensity intervals.




What's your favorite type of cardio?

2 comments:

  1. My husband uses an elliptical at work, but the two of us walk together. We are out in here the beautiful countryside. That is the extent of our exercise. I am an avid gardener but my doctor said that is trauma, not exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could drag my hubby out walking with me! It doesn't really seem like exercise when you're out with someone.

      Delete

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!