Wednesday, April 8, 2015

G is for RAdm Grace Hopper


Rear Admiral Grace Hopper, USN
(1906 - 1992)

Admiral Hopper was a mathematician and one of the inventors of the COBOL computer language. She was ahead of her time in regards to using computers in the US Navy. She was also the first female to hold the rank of Rear Admiral.

She was in the Navy from 1943 - 1986, working mainly as the Director, Navy Programming Languages Group. In her work with computers, she felt computers should be available to anyone who needed them.  I'd say she succeeded!

Coincidentally, if I had stayed in the Navy any longer than I did, my next command would have been the USS Hopper.  A guided missile destroyer named in Admiral Hopper's honor.

USS Hopper DDG 60


source
ship photo source
#AtoZChallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!