Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Y - Y did I join the Navy?

My Theme / Timeline

I covered my journey back to civilian-hood in the "P" post, so why did I choose to join the Navy?

I grew up in a small town in SE Michigan.  We had 2 elementary schools, a middle school and a high school.  I graduated with most of the people I went to kindergarten with.  It was very clique-y.  Once we hit middle school / 6th grade - everyone was in their little groups and no one else was allowed in.  I never seemed to fit in anywhere.  I had a very small handful of friends (quality over quantity - I'm still in contact with them today!) but I spent a lot of time alone.  We spent most weekends and summers up north so I was never home anyway. I also got my share of bullying, which did not endear anyone to me at all.

I don't know when I decided I needed to get out of Clawson, but I knew I had to.  I loved being around horses, so I looked for and found a college in Ohio that offered Equestrian Studies.  I applied and was accepted!  Life was good!  I was going to buy a horse and take him to school with me and I was going to start my own training stable.

Then one day at school, I walked past the counselor's office and a Navy recruiter stepped out.  I locked eyes with him and my steps got slower and slower as I stared.  I wish I remembered what I said to him, but it had to have been the easiest sell in recruiting history!

I went home that night and told my parents my new decision.  They were surprised, but very supportive.  I already had one brother in the Army and another in the Air Force.  I went to the recruiting station and signed up into Delayed Entry.  I was supposed to leave for boot camp exactly 1 month after graduation!  But something happened and my ship date got delayed.  To October, then onto the following March.

I finally left for Orlando on March 17, 1992 - not long after Desert Storm started.

#AtoZChallenge

1 comment:

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!