Wednesday, December 23, 2015

All about me - Christmas edition

I got this from Pamela over at The Lady of the House Speaking who got it from someone else, who got it somewhere else, etc, etc, etc. It looked pretty fun!

Have you started your Christmas shopping? Since tomorrow is Christmas Eve - I sure hope so! I do feel like I'm missing something, tho. I guess it's because I usually do ALL the shopping, even for myself, but this year Randy took suggestions and ordered hopefully what I asked for and it came all wrapped and ready for the tree.

When do you put up your tree? usually the weekend after Thanksgiving. It stands naked for a few days, then we'll put on lights & garland and it stands for a few more days, then I start with the ornaments. It gives the cats a chance to adjust and investigate. This year I was nervous about the new kitten, but once she removed the one shiny green bulb from the inside of the tree she's been leaving it alone. Whew!

Are you a Black Friday shopper? Noooo.  We do support Small Business Saturday, tho.

Do you travel at Christmas or stay home? We alternate between the mother-in-law's in Arkansas and staying home. This year we're home. We'll go to my sister's house Christmas Eve with the family and Christmas Day evening we'll head up to Frankenmuth, home of Bronner's the world's largest Christmas store! And the hotel has a water park. Mom & Laurie started doing this the year Dad passed away to break the old traditions.

What is your funniest Christmas memory? 1995 Coming home from Seattle on leave after being on WestPac (my Navy days - a 6 month cruise around the Western Pacific) Dad and I were sent to select the tree, but ended up at the local Eagles to have a few. I think Dad was entertained with me sitting there swapping sea stories with a couple old men. Their WWII stories were a lot different than mine! We ended up grabbing the first somewhat decent looking tree we saw. But with beer goggles? It probably looked like Charlie Brown's tree.

What is your favorite Christmas movie of all time? Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Do you do your own Christmas baking, what's your favorite treat? Hmm. I don't specifically bake each year, but I love me some cookies!  And baklava.

Fake or Real Tree? I haven't had a real tree in years and I'm not sure I want one. Since I turned 40, allergies started hitting me. Horse dander now makes me sneeze until I almost pee myself and cat dander makes my eyes get red & itchy & watery. I have to make sure I wash my hands before messing with my contacts. Strong pine smells (like candles) make me sneeze, too. I'm afraid real pine would do the same, which sucks.

What day (as a mom) does the actual panic set in to get it all done? I'll probably be going crazy tomorrow.

Are you still wrapping presents on Christmas Eve? I have a few things left. Randy had his gift-wrapped when he ordered them and Angel did a bunch for me. I just have to wrap hers. And of course I'm sitting here in front of the computer with a sleeping kitten on my lap and not getting anything done!

What is your favorite family fun time at Christmas?
There's a nearby city that covers every building along their main street in lights, each business in a different color. We have dinner at this little diner at the south end of town then walk the length of the strip and back. We were supposed to go last night, but Angel got called in to work. The lights are on until 1/3 so we have time to go yet.

What Christmas craft do you like the best? Since I have so many nutcrackers, there's always bound to be some repairs and/or paint touch-ups that need to happen.  We always do a craft at Thanksgiving, too.   This is what we did this year...
Christmas music? One of my XM radio stations switched from country to country Christmas so that's what I've been listening to. I like "Nuttin' for Christmas" and "Merry Christmas from the Family" by Montgomery Gentry and I'm really liking Alan Jackson's "Let it be Christmas" this year.
However, I HATE "Santa Baby". Grrr.  And "Baby, It's Cold Outside", we call that the date rape song. The really slow songs are sure to get turned off.

Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Umm, yes! I like them both.

Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Wrapped.

Colored lights on the tree/house or white? Love me some colors! We have LEDs on both the tree and outlining the house. I really don't put anywhere near the effort of decorating for Christmas like I do for Halloween. The lights on the house and along the fence and of course my blowmolds.
Do you hang mistletoe? Nope, but if I did, I'd want one of the balls.

What is your favorite holiday dish? Nothing really stands out.

Favorite holiday memory as a child? Mom and Dad refusing to get out of bed until they smelled coffee brewing.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Only on Michigan years.  We exchange gifts with the family so yes. But in my house? No.

How to you decorate your Christmas tree? Our ornaments are bright and funky and make me happy. Some have sentimental meaning or come from places we've traveled to. Speaking of....I have one from Arlington National Cemetery sitting here on my desk - let me go put it on the tree!

Snow? Love it? Dread it? Welp, I'm from Michigan so it's usually a fact of life. But this year has been weird. I was just outside in a t-shirt letting the dog outside. We've had one good snow this year and it melted within a couple days.
Can you ice skate? No. I tried it once as a kid, but haven't since.

Do you remember your favorite gift? I'm afraid not. I remember things here & there but nothing that reigns supreme.

What's the most important thing about the holidays to you? mainly the peace. Lights against the falling snow, etc. And of course doing things with the family.

Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? Ppfftt both!

Thanks, Pamela for the fun linkup!  

#TFTLS

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining in! Bronner's is on my Bucket List, that's my kind of store. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a HUGE store! Actually, the whole town of Frankenmuth is worth exploring, there's a lot of neat shops and things to do.

      Delete
  2. Found you via Pamela. Just wanted to say Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had a Merry Christmas, too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!